How’s that for no useful search engine keywords?!
It’s not even been a week since my last post, but we’ve been super-busy so I thought I’d update anyway.
Jake has had his first maths (higher) exam and he seemed quite pleased with how it went. There were some questions towards the end (the A/A* ones) which he said he couldn’t do but he was confident he’d done enough to pass the paper, which is the best we can hope for. Considering he’s only been studying properly since January, I’m super-proud of how he’s done. He’s got a short break from exams now (it’s half term so there aren’t any) before he has both English papers and his second maths paper the following week. There’s a bit of work to do before then, but I’m sure he’ll be fine.
Work is getting very hectic. It’s been pre-TT so everyone needs everything weeks ago (because, you know, their bikes won’t work without that sticker/screen/insert-random-vanity-trickbit-here)
We’ve started using “Drop & Go” at the Post Office which has definitely been a blessing. Being able to just drop the postbag in, rather than queueing, is AWESOME!
Busy work means that van business has had to wait until after tea or weekends mostly. This weekend, being a bank holiday (and, dare I say it, good weather?!) has been productive already.
We’re on lots of finishings at the moment. Wallboards, felting and suchlike.
The overhead lockers that went in are now felted around the inner edge (and one at the back – just so we could see what it is going to look like!) and silver panelled both on the fronts and underneath. We need to run a trim along the back (wall edge) underneath and the front where the silver panels meet but it’s looking good, and we could finally mount those lights which sit above the sofa area.
As you can see, we’ve also fitted both wall panels on that side, the window trim and the inner window ledges and sides.
Can I just take a moment to say a little about routing?
Oh. My. Goodness! What a hugely messy job.
By our second window, we’d resorted to using multiple taped sheets, but it still got into every nook and cranny.
Routing these boards in situ is scary. One false move and the panel is ruined, so it’d be one expensive mistake if that router slipped!
Added to that, we’d had to build up the inner edge with plywood so that the cut-out was slightly in from the window itself, allowing us to add that edging on the wallboard. This also meant we had to create slightly more curvy corners out of cut wood so that the edging would go around the corners better. It was a tricky thing to do but it worked out really well in the end.
As well as walls, we also faced the kitchen unit. Another exercise in how much you have to cut out to make stuff look good!
Hopefully, the cut-outs will be useful for panelling other bits or that’s a lot of money sitting as leftovers!
As well as panelling, we also tested the water system. We filled the fresh water tank (mounted underneath the van) and checked that the water level registered on the gauge.
We fitted the kitchen and bathroom taps onto the pipework and pressurised the system. The pump worked beautifully filling the pipes and the hot water tank. Then we opened each tap, one at a time, checking they all worked and making sure we had no leaks.
There was one small leak on a joint in the (secondhand) hot water tank, but easily fixable.
We also tested filling the bathroom sink and draining it to see if the waste pipes worked OK. The bathroom sink and shower waste actually merge before going through the van floor to the waste tank and despite our efforts, we were worried that the sink, when emptied, would flow back through the shower waste and up the shower plug hole.
We were right to be concerned.
So, one non-return valve ordered and the problem will be sorted. At least we know now.
That photo was taken before the overhead lockers were done underneath, but it’s certainly starting to take shape.
And there’s a whole other day tomorrow!
Tomorrow’s plans are to finish the underside of the overhead (still with me!) lockers, to fit the kitchen strip LED lighting and to felt and panel the side sliding door. I insulated the sliding door today (which is why we’re working ’round the back of the van so the side door can be closed) so it’s ready for covering.
We’re felting it around the edges and into the window (because old work vans looks dinted and bumped!) and then we’ll panel where the van panels have been in the same board as the walls so it’ll all coordinate with our “lounge” area. The removable table will probably be stored here too so we need to sort out how we’re doing that too.
So much to do…so little time!